Saturday, February 6, 2010

Boob cancer update....

I had no idea how MUCH fluid could fit into the cavity he carved out of my boob. Ugh. I've never nursed, so I've never had milk come in so I don't know how it compares, but this fluid is no fun! My deformed boob is now bigger than the other one... They sent me home after the last surgery with the world's largest ace bandage wrapped around my chest like a mummy. They told me to leave it on for 5-7 days. I didn't know it was to keep the fluid out. I lasted 5 days with it before I couldn't stand it anymore. Well the fluid is worse than the chest strap, so it's back on today. My dr. (Dr. Hansen) said I could come in and he could drain it, but he said it would just fill up again. I told him I would call back if it became unbearable. Hopefully it will redistribute before I reach the unbearable level.

The big M surgery is scheduled for March 11. I was planning on doing it sooner, but the plastic surgeon is out of the country from 2/18-3/8. So my options were having it done next Thursday, Feb. 11, or waiting til March 11. There was no way I was going to be ready this next Thursday to have THAT done, so after checking with Dr. Hansen, who gave the okay to wait, I have scheduled it for March 11. Michael and I will meet with the plastic surgeon (Dr. Bindrup) on Feb. 15 to discuss my reconstruction. Boob rebuilding. I had never, ever thought I would be getting a boob job. Ever. I had no idea there were so many options and so many decisions to make...

Tangent: Thursday is Dr. Hansen's surgery day, so my surgeries are always on Thursdays. Except for Tuesday, Thursday is now my least favorite day of the week. Tuesdays are my least favorite day because Dr. Hansen always calls on Tuesdays to give me bad news, results of the previous Thursdays procedure. Someday I will like Tuesdays and Thursdays again and Monday will once again regain it's rightful place as my least favorite day of the week...

5 comments:

Elise said...

Cheryl,
We love you and Jaden prays on his own every night that Aunt Cheryl will get better. It makes me smile because i'm not sure he really knows you but cares so much.
You are being so positive and I admire your positive attitude.

Beck said...

The whole Tues and Thurs thing is true! I feel ya. I have hated them for you. What crappy days.

random question: Since Im released now does this mean I cant go to the bday dinners now with the YW leaders. Maybe I could be a stake visitor :) I really want to come! After all they were my idea...haha!

Jill and Kevin said...

Good luck! I never knew there were so many boob choices either until my sister decided to lift the sagginess of 5 babies nursing on hers a little over a year ago. Crazy.

I'm back in YW's as the personal progress leader. Any ideas for motivation?

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that. Surgery sucks. You rock. Always. Like sometimes I think about high school and I think you were one of the only adults who understood me. I love you for that. Dude, I got head surgery the other month and the fluid is hecka naaaastaaay! Looked like a T-Rex or Shrek. Our bodies are crazy!

Michelle said...

www.americanexpatriates.blogspot.com