Thursday, February 18, 2010

:)

So Michael and I met with Dr. Bindrup on Monday. I feel SO much better about things. So does Michael. This is going to be a bit graphic, so if you are male, you may want your wife/girlfriend/sister to read it first and then just relay the general content back to you.... :)

I have opted to go with an implant. With my size, the TRAM flap (skin/muscle/fat taken from a football-shaped graph that goes from hip to hip) wasn't a great option. I could have taken a flap from my butt, but it's a much longer surgery, a much longer hospital stay and a much longer recovery (translation: more time off of running). It just seems that with where I am in my life right now (two young children), the implant seems to be the best option. More importantly, Michael and I both feel really good about that decision.

Our really great news (brace yourselves!) came when he said that he thinks he can save the nipple. Yay! I had no idea how important my nipple was to me. This was really good news for both of us... :) (Sorry if I have crossed over the "way more information than we ever wanted to know" line.....) Soooooo... Dr. Hansen will remove all of the breast tissue and then Dr. Bindrup will put in a saline implant and stitch things up (complete with drains-- blech--that will stay in 4-7 days...) It is a skin-sparing mastectomy, so I will not need to worry about expanders at all. That was more good news. With the saline implant, they can inject fluid as needed until it is the right size. And once it's the right size, he will replace the saline with a silicone implant.

On the other side, he will remove some breast tissue (a slight reduction) and then do a lift. Yay, again! They will then biopsy the tissue they remove.

Dr. Bindrup said that one of his goals is symmetry. Excellent! He said that his other goal, is that in a year's time, this will just be some surgery I had in my life that I hardly think about anymore. Even more excellent. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Of course I still wish none of this was necessary, but because it is, I'm glad that both of my dr.'s seem to have been able to make the very best of a lousy situation.

15 comments:

bohling76 said...

Thanks for the graphic update! If you were here I would have made you tell me it all at playgroup anyway. This way, I don't have to ask! I'm glad things are looking better. The whole thing sucks, but if you have to have it done then things should look better in the end. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Just know that we miss you here and if you need some sun after all this, come visit!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl, your family is sure missed here in Florida. I am sorry you are going through this. My 15 yr old Emily had a breast biopsy over the Christmas break. I understand the "nipple thing" because her lump was on the end of her nipple extending into one side of the areola. Her scar, 6 weeks later, looks pretty good with a little bit of nipple deformity. Because she is still in the growing stage, she will have reconstruction later if needed.
Good luck to you through all this; many thoughts and prayers are coming your way from Florida.

Beck said...

Loved the graphic update. Thats why I love you. :) haha! Not that your always graphic...bc that isnt you at all but bc you arent afraid to say what you think. And I love that quality! Anyways couldnt be happier about the awesome news!!!! Congrats! Another one of my friends going down in the book of boob jobs. LOL :)

The John & Serene Bean Family said...

Cheryl,so glad to hear some good news out of this. You are going to be back on the streets again soon. Of course I mean running not working the streets. But you could work the streets b/c you are such a hottie anyway but I will just stop now before I get into too much trouble. We love you!!!

Carina said...

I am so glad that things are going great, and if I know you (which I do) You're really not going to take that much time off running. Love ya!!

Carina said...

Ok, I just reread that and I know things aren't going great, but great under the circumstances :)

Emily and Derek said...

So happy things are looking up and you love your doctors... that is the best feeling in the world! We miss you guys and I totally want to come up and visit. Keep us posted on what is going on and hopefully we can see you soon!

Elise said...

I'm so glad for the update. I told Jaden that you said thankyou I don't know that he understood but he smiled. I know that the reasons for the boob job aren't the most positive, but I would like some boobs, like my mother would say to. :) We are still praying for you. If you need anything I need a good excuse to get out of Idaho. By the way my blog is tysonelise.blogspot.com

Shelly Beutler said...

Another WOW (this one GREAT) for you Cheryl! I'm glad things are looking "up" for you - no pun intended:) It sounds like everything is going to turn out great and that you have a great team of doctors helping you. I'm so glad - I know going through the whole process will still be a little nerve racking but at least you can see a light at the end of the tunnel now!

Troy and Kim Bench and Family said...

Cheryl, I was pleased and surprised to see your comment on my blog. I decided to creep on yours in return and learned of your latest dilemma. Oh wow! I can't believe. I am so sorry! It makes me want to schedule my mamogram today!!!!

On the good side, if your boobs look anything like mine do (runners version) the boob job might not be so bad!!

Sarah said...

So glad to hear you have had some good news! We have been keeping you guys in our prayers. You guys are so tough and I love the "graphic updates". We love you! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you guys out.

Christina said...

Thanks for the update - details and all. I will keep you in my prayers and hope this is all just a foggy memory for you next year and life can return to the same old uneventful nature it once was. I love you!

Becky O said...

I am so glad to read the first sentence saying you are feeling better about everything. Of this is crappy all together, but you are just the happiest most joyful person and I love your positive attitude! I am so glad to have you as a friend, you are an awesome example and person!

womanoforangerinds8 said...

I've never heard of this saline stuff before. Huh. Anyway, it sounds like a really good solution. I also love your attitude about all of this. Everyone always tells me I have such a great attitude when I get sick or something, but I'm nowhere near...you. I feel unworthy. Anyway, happy late birthday (I don't keep track of that kind of stuff), I'm glad you like your gift, and best of luck to you! Hopefully, you can get back to doing what you love soon.

Stephanie said...

Are you still on for the 11th? I've sure been thinking and praying and fasting for you! I hope you know I love you!