Friday, January 22, 2010

Lousy health issue

So maybe I will start updating my blog again so I can put updates on here about my new health drama. So this is the story... had a mammogram in Nov., results were questionable, they sent me for another in Dec., and found a cluster of microcalcifications. For some reason I don't quite understand, because the area was so close to the skin, they did not want to do a traditional biopsy, opting instead to just remove the whole small section (about the size of a gumball.) They then biopsied that and the results were DCIS (ductal incarcimoma in situ)-- earliest, most treatable form of breast cancer. Barely breast cancer. Sometimes it's not even referred to as cancer, but just precancer. They didn't get clear margins when they took out the first section, so they went back in a week later, took some more out, thinking the margins would then be clear and I would start radiation in a month or so. But those plans were shot when the margins did not come back clear, but instead revealed more cancer areas. :( Rats. So yesterday I went for an mri and that brings us to today. I am waiting for the phone to ring to let me know the results of the mri. The cancer areas they found in the second surgery did not show up on the mammogram, so hopefully they will show up on the mri and then they/we can make a new plan. Hopefully I get results today. Cause if I don't get them today, I won't hear anything til Tues. (Surgeon isn't in on Mondays.) So, best case scenario: more surgery and then radiation. Worst case scenario: masectomy. Important things to know: survival rate for this type of precancer/ cancer is 100%. I'm not going to die. Also, the cancer is completely contained in my boob. It has not spread to any other part of my body. Okay. And that would be all for now. Ho hum....

3 comments:

Luvnbnamom said...

Oh my goodness....I am so sorry! What a lousy friend am I....I had totally forgotten! :( I know that if there is anyone that can get though this with a positive attitude...its you! You are one strong lady! I will keep my fingers crossed that you will get the news today and you will be in my thoughts and Prayers as you start your recovery! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!!

Henderson Family said...

Good heavens! How scary!!! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Keep us posted and I hope all turns out ok. Love you!

Shelly Beutler said...

WOW - I'm sooooo glad you caught this "issue" as early as you did. I hope you get back some good news today . . . either way, I will pray for YOU specifically in my prayers! I love you and wish you a quick recovery! I am going to be headed up to Provo on February 12th - then home again the 15th. I would love to meet up with you!